A quick and easy arthritis-friendly recipe.
The word “superfood” gets tossed around a lot these days, but when it comes to helping with arthritis, avocados may actually fit the bill. Research on the health benefits of avocados highlights a wealth of helpful antioxidant compounds, including the healthy monounsaturated fatty acids that offer anti-inflammatory benefits similar to olive oil. Emerging research also suggests that avocados may help reduce pain in osteoarthritis in the lower jaw.
Nutritional information (per serving*):
Calories: 271; Total Fat (24g); Saturated Fat (5g); Monounsaturated Fat (12g); Carbohydrates (7g); Fibre (6g); Sodium (154mg).
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 20-25 minutes
*Servings: 4 (one half avocado and one egg per serving)
• 2 avocados (large work best)
• 4 eggs
• 1-2 green onions, chopped
• 4 Tbsp feta cheese, shredded (can be purchased pre-shredded)
• Paprika, dried basil, salt and pepper, sprinkled to taste
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• Fresh parsley
1. Preheat over to 425°F.
2. Cut each avocado in half and remove pit.
3. Fill each avocado half with an egg. It might be easier to pour each egg into a bowl first, then into the avocado.
4. Add green onions, paprika, salt, pepper, and dried basil to taste, then drizzle with the olive oil.
5. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how firm you like your egg yolks.
6. Sprinkle feta cheese over each egg, then top with parsley and serve immediately.
✔ This recipe can be a very satisfying breakfast that keeps you full until lunchtime. Try it with a slice of whole-grain (and, if necessary, gluten-free) toast and kalamata olives.